Platform: macOS (other platforms)
Version: Alpha 1.5.8
Release date: May 16, 2022
Latest version (see all macOS versions)
This version of Frogans Player for Developers embeds version 1.5.8 of the FSDL Software Library (alpha).
Note: Frogans Player for Developers (alpha) is a preliminary version provided on an "as is" basis. The OP3FT cannot guarantee that the rendering performed by this alpha version will be compatible down to the last pixel with the rendering performed by the release version of Frogans Player.
To be informed of the distribution of versions of Frogans Player, subscribe free of charge to the Announcement read-only mailing list.
Frogans Player for Developers (alpha) is intended for developers wishing to contribute to the development of the FSDL language and Frogans Player by creating and testing their first Frogans sites using FSDL 3.0.
This Frogans Player version is not intended for the general public.
Any contribution to the development of the Frogans technology, in any form, is considered as acceptance of the Frogans Technology Development Contributor Policy and the commitments it contains, without restriction or reserve.
This alpha version represents an opportunity for developers to participate in the development of the Frogans technology.
To post questions or suggestions, or to report errors relating to the FSDL language or to this Frogans Player version, subscribe free of charge to the Early-questions mailing list. Please prefix the subject of any posts you make to this list concerning FSDL 3.0 with "[FSDL]" and prefix the subject of any posts concerning Frogans Player for Developers with "[FP-Dev]".
The OP3FT is looking for feedback from the developer community in two key areas:
- The FSDL 3.0 language
You can suggest improvements in the design of FSDL, such as:
- changes to the minimum, maximum, and default values of attributes
- changes to applicability rules for attributes
- new rules intended to ensure usability for end-users
- other rules for protecting end-user interests
- The implementation of Frogans Player for Developers
You can suggest improvements or report errors in the implementation of Frogans Player for Developers, in areas such as:
- validation of FSDL documents (including error messages)
- rendering of Frogans slides
- Frogans Player GUI (e.g. the contextual menu, entry of Frogans addresses, icons)
Your feedback can concern either a given platform (Windows, macOS, or Linux) or all platforms.
Versions currently supported:
- OS X Mavericks 10.9
- OS X Yosemite 10.10
- OS X El Capitan 10.11
- macOS Sierra 10.12
- macOS High Sierra 10.13
- macOS Mojave 10.14
- macOS Catalina 10.15
- macOS Big Sur 11.x
- macOS Monterey 20.x
- At least 256 megabytes (MB) of available space for storage (e.g. HDD, SSD)
This version allows you to create and test Frogans sites whose Frogans slides are hosted either locally on your system (using the UCSR network 'FS') or remotely on a server on the Internet (using the UCSR network 'IP_DNS_TCP_HTTP').
To create and test your Frogans sites, you need to configure test Frogans addresses, i.e. Frogans addresses starting with test*, via the configuration-for-testing.xml file in the Frogans Player directory. This configuration file is local to your system.
This version can also resolve Frogans addresses of public Frogans networks, i.e. Frogans addresses starting with frogans* (or a transcription of the name 'frogans' followed by an asterisk, such as 福更斯* or ФРОГАНС*) so that you can publish your Frogans sites on the Internet and make them available to others using your Frogans addresses (more information on the Frogans Addresses resolution test period).
Note: The UCSR network 'IP_DNS_TCP_HTTP' is currently used by Frogans Player to communicate with FNS servers (i.e. servers resolving Frogans addresses) and with servers hosting Frogans sites. For the moment, this UCSR network only supports direct connections to the Internet (no proxies).
This version implements all the elements of FSDL 3.0.
The following elements are available for testing: <frogans-fsdl>, <file>, <resimage>, <respixels>, <resdraw>, <respath>, <setfont>, <font>, <restext>, <text>, <setfilter>, <filter>, <setrelief>, <relief>, <setshadow>, <shadow>, <resmerge>, <merge>, <layer>, <button>, <next>, <entry>, <setdata>, <data>, <session>, and <redirect>.
Change log/Known issues:
This version 1.5.8 is part of the 1.4.x and 1.5.x series of interim releases intended for testing the major enhancements implemented since version 1.3.1. These enhancements include the lockdown of FSDL 3.0 as discussed during Frogans Technology Conference 8, as well as additional features still being finalized. For more information about these enhancements, see the latest recap in the FSDL 3.0 resources.
This version 1.5.8 notably brings to all platforms a feature that smoothly and automatically resizes a Frogans site down to its vignette representation as it is moved near the edge of the screen. This version does not yet support the leaptofrogans URI scheme.
To create and test your own Frogans sites using Frogans Player for Developers, follow these steps:
- Download and decompress the archive on your system. A Frogans Player directory is created with the name of the archive.
- you should create this Frogans Player directory on the local drive of your system, and not on a networked drive; otherwise Frogans Player for Developers can be very slow at rendering Frogans slides.
- due to a currently unresolved issue related to the UCSR network 'FS', in order for test Frogans addresses to work correctly, the path to the Frogans Player directory must contain ASCII characters only.
- Open the Frogans Player directory and execute Frogans Player for Developers. A small, movable yellow circle representing Frogans Player is displayed in the center of the screen.
Note: if Frogans Player for Developers does not start or launch correctly:
- Check whether the Gatekeeper is causing the problem. Go to Apple menu > System Preferences… > Security & Privacy > General tab and verify the "Allow apps downloaded from" option. If the option equals "Anywhere", then the Gatekeeper is not causing the problem. If the option equals "Mac App Store", then you will need to change it to "Mac App Store and identified developers" in order to run the program.
- Check whether your antivirus software is blocking the program or waiting for a confirmation.
- Select "Open a Frogans site..." from the Frogans Player contextual menu and enter one of the following test Frogans addresses: test*helloworld or test*helloworld-live. The corresponding sample Frogans site appears, which you can move, resize, and navigate. You can also use the following Frogans addresses of public Frogans networks: frogans*HelloWorld or frogans*HelloWorld-Entry.
- Use the Frogans site contextual menu to view the source of the current Frogans slide (i.e. page of the Frogans site), to reload the current Frogans slide, or to close the Frogans site. In order to display the Frogans site in the 640x480 resolution of the rendering canvas, disable the scaling factor (option for developers only in the Frogans site contextual menu).
- Each Frogans site is made up of Frogans slides. The Frogans slides of a Frogans site (i.e. the FSDL documents and their auxiliary files) are stored in a specific directory called the Frogans site root directory. In this version of Frogans Player for Developers, Frogans site root directories can be located either locally on your system, or remotely on an HTTP server on the Internet.
For example, the Frogans site root directory of the sample Frogans site corresponding to test*helloworld is located locally in the "helloworld" subdirectory of the "test" directory of the Frogans Player directory. The Frogans site root directory of the sample Frogans site corresponding to test*helloworld-live is located remotely on an HTTP server on the Internet.
- To create and test your own Frogans site using the test Frogans address test*sitename, edit the configuration-for-testing.xml file in the Frogans Player directory. This configuration file is used to configure test Frogans addresses for use with Frogans Player for Developers. For further information, including the syntax of the "sitename" of your test Frogans address, read the guidelines in the detailed comments provided in the configuration file.
- You can create and test as many Frogans sites as you wish. The number of Frogans slides in a Frogans site is unlimited. The Frogans site root directory can contain subdirectories.
- To modify an FSDL document, edit the corresponding file in your favorite text editor that supports XML (and remember to reload the Frogans slide afterwards). We suggest that you use the .fsdl extension for the file names of your static FSDL documents.
Legal information / Credits
Frogans Player for Developers [noinstall]
Copyright ©1999-2022 OP3FT
All rights reserved
Frogans Player for Developers (the "Software") is developed by and belongs to the OP3FT.
The Software must be used in compliance with the Frogans Technology User Policy, accessible at the following permanent URL: https://www.frogans.org/en/resources/ftup/access.html.
By downloading and using the Software, you agree to and undertake to be bound by the version in force of the Frogans Technology User Policy.
Sample Frogans sites included in the "test" directory located in the Frogans Player directory are provided by the OP3FT to help you create your own Frogans sites. You are free to use, copy, distribute, modify, adapt, or share these sample Frogans sites.
The Software uses third-party source materials which are credited in the "COPYRIGHT-AND-LICENSE" directory available in the archive to be downloaded (see download).
© OP3FT - Home - Legal information