Platform: Windows (other platforms)
Version: Alpha 0.1.2
Release date: October 8, 2015
This alpha version is deprecated - It is no longer able to validate FSDL documents based on FSDL 3.0 - find the latest Windows version
Note: Frogans Player for Developers (alpha) is a preliminary version provided on an "as is" basis. The OP3FT cannot guarantee that the rendering performed by this alpha version will be compatible down to the last pixel with the rendering performed by the release version of Frogans Player.
To be informed of the distribution of versions of Frogans Player, subscribe free of charge to the Announcement read-only mailing list.
Frogans Player for Developers (alpha) is intended for developers wishing to contribute to the development of the FSDL language and Frogans Player by creating and testing their first Frogans sites using FSDL 3.0.
This Frogans Player version is not intended for the general public.
Any contribution to the development of the Frogans technology, in any form, is considered as acceptance of the Frogans Technology Development Contributor Policy and the commitments it contains, without restriction or reserve.
This alpha version represents an opportunity for developers to participate in the development of the Frogans technology.
To post questions or suggestions, or to report errors relating to the FSDL language or to this Frogans Player version, subscribe free of charge to the Early-questions mailing list. Please prefix the subject of any posts you make to this list concerning FSDL 3.0 with "[FSDL]" and prefix the subject of any posts concerning Frogans Player for Developers with "[FP-Dev]".
The OP3FT is looking for feedback from the developer community in two key areas:
- The FSDL 3.0 language
You can suggest improvements in the design of FSDL, such as:
- changes to the minimum, maximum, and default values of attributes
- changes to applicability rules for attributes
- new Frogans slide rendering constraints (intended to ensure useability for end-users)
- The implementation of Frogans Player for Developers
You can suggest improvements or report errors in the implementation of Frogans Player for Developers, in areas such as:
- validation of FSDL documents (including error messages)
- rendering of Frogans slides
- Frogans Player GUI (e.g. the contextual menu, entry of Frogans addresses, icons)
Your feedback can concern either a given platform (Windows, MacOS X, or Linux) or all platforms.
Operating System versions currently supported:
- Windows 2000
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
- 133 MHz or more Pentium microprocessor (or equivalent)
- At least 512 megabytes (MB) of RAM
- At least 256 megabytes (MB) of available space for storage (e.g. HDD, SSD)
- Video adapter and monitor with 640x480 or higher resolution and 16 bit color
This version allows you to create and test Frogans sites under development whose Frogans slides are stored locally on your workstation. The address of your Frogans site under development must start with Test*.
This version implements the graphical elements of
It does not implement dynamic elements of FSDL.
The following elements are available for testing: <frogans-fsdl>, <file>, <resimage>, <respixels>, <resdraw>, <setfont>, <font>, <restext>, <text>, <setfilter>, <filter>, <resmerge>, <merge>, <layer>, and <button>.
This version does not manage Frogans slide rendering constraints, which are currently under discussion.
Future versions of Frogans Player for Developers will implement dynamic elements of FSDL and will allow you to host your Frogans sites under development on the server of your choice.
Changes between 0.1.1 and 0.1.2:
- The <resmerge> and <merge> elements have been added to the elements available for testing.
- A sample Frogans site has been included: Test*helloworld
- Resolved issue: Assembling buttons could generate internal rendering errors.
- Resolved issue: The following values of the "pfont" attribute of the <font> element generated an internal rendering error: '125-1-serif-b', '125-2-serif-r'.
- Resolved issue: Text resources were not rendered correctly if the <setfont> element contained two or more <font> elements, or if the <restext> elements or its <text> child elements referred to more than one <setfont> element.
- Resolved issue: Text resources were not rendered correctly for text with a vertical orientation, i.e. if the "orientation" attribute of the <restext> element starts with 'v-'.
Known issues (as of October 8, 2015):
- This version of Frogans Player for Developers has not been optimized yet, and parsing and rendering can be slow. The release version of Frogans Player will be much faster.
- The error reporting system of the XML parser and the FSDL validator can generate incomplete or inaccurate messages.
- The following values of the "pfont" attribute of the <font> element generate an internal rendering error: '122-6-sans-r', '122-7-sans-r', '122-8-sans-r', '122-9-sans-r'.
- Layers may not be displayed correctly if they are positioned beyond the upper or left edge of the rendering canvas and if the value of the "combine" attribute is not equal to 'add'.
- When using the "blur" attribute with a positive value in the <layer> element, the layer is moved by the value of the "blur" attribute.
- The English term to use for the little yellow circle which represents Frogans Player on the desktop has yet to be determined. What do you think about "lilypad"?
- Frogans Player for Developers [noinstall] (7z version): FrogansPlayer4Dev-noinstall-alpha0.1.2-win32.7z - 31.6 MB - [ SHA1 ]
To create and test your own Frogans sites, follow the steps below.
For more detailed information, watch the FSDL tutorial from the Frogans Technology Conference 5, available at conference.frogans.org, and refer to the FSDL 3.0 resources.
- Download and decompress the archive on your system. A Frogans Player directory is created with the name of the archive.
- Open the Frogans Player directory and execute Frogans Player for Developers. A small, movable yellow circle representing Frogans Player is displayed in the center of the screen.
- Select "Open a Frogans site..." from the Frogans Player contextual menu and enter the following test Frogans address: Test*helloworld. The corresponding sample Frogans site appears, which you can move, resize, and navigate.
- Use the Frogans site contextual menu to reload the current Frogans slide (i.e. page of the Frogans site) or close the Frogans site. In order to display the Frogans site in the 640x480 resolution of the rendering canvas, disable the scaling factor (option for developers only in the Frogans site contextual menu).
- Each Frogans site is made up of one or more Frogans slides. The Frogans slides of a Frogans site (i.e. the FSDL documents and their auxiliary files) are stored in a specific directory called the Frogans site root directory. In this version of Frogans Player for Developers, Frogans site root directories are located directly on your system, not on a server. The Frogans site root directories are subdirectories of the "test" directory, which is found in the Frogans Player directory. For example, the Frogans site root directory of the sample Frogans site corresponding to the test Frogans address Test*helloworld is the "helloworld" subdirectory of the "test" directory.
- To create and test your own Frogans site with the test Frogans address Test*sitename, create a subdirectory called "sitename" in the "test" directory, and store your Frogans slides there. "sitename" can contain up to 28 ASCII characters in the range from 'a' to 'z', from '0' to '9' inclusive, and the '-' character (no spaces allowed). In this version of Frogans Player for Developers, the file name of the FSDL document representing the home slide of your Frogans site must be "home.fsdl" and the encoding of all FSDL documents must be UTF-8.
- You can create and test as many Frogans sites as you wish. The number of Frogans slides in a Frogans site is unlimited. The Frogans site root directory can contain subdirectories.
- To modify an FSDL document, edit the corresponding file in your favorite text editor that supports XML (and remember to reload the Frogans slide afterwards). We suggest that you use the .fsdl extension for the file names of your FSDL documents.
Legal information / Credits
Frogans Player for Developers [noinstall]
Copyright ©1999-2015 OP3FT
All rights reserved
Frogans Player for Developers is Software developed by and belonging to the OP3FT. The Software must be used in compliance with the Frogans Technology User Policy, accessible at the following permanent URL: https://www.frogans.org/en/resources/ftup/access.html.
By downloading Frogans Player for Developers, you agree to and undertake to be bound by the latest version of the Frogans Technology User Policy.
Frogans Player for Developers uses third-party source materials which are credited in the "COPYRIGHT-AND-LICENSE" directory available in the Software distribution archive to be downloaded (see download).
© OP3FT - Home - Legal information