Platform: Windows (other platforms)
Version: Alpha 0.13.1
Release date: April 21, 2016
This alpha version is deprecated - It is no longer able to validate FSDL documents based on FSDL 3.0 - find the latest Windows version
This version of Frogans Player for Developers embeds version 0.13.1 of the FSDL Software Library (alpha).
Note: Frogans Player for Developers (alpha) is a preliminary version provided on an "as is" basis. The OP3FT cannot guarantee that the rendering performed by this alpha version will be compatible down to the last pixel with the rendering performed by the release version of Frogans Player.
To be informed of the distribution of versions of Frogans Player, subscribe free of charge to the Announcement read-only mailing list.
Frogans Player for Developers (alpha) is intended for developers wishing to contribute to the development of the FSDL language and Frogans Player by creating and testing their first Frogans sites using FSDL 3.0.
This Frogans Player version is not intended for the general public.
Any contribution to the development of the Frogans technology, in any form, is considered as acceptance of the Frogans Technology Development Contributor Policy and the commitments it contains, without restriction or reserve.
This alpha version represents an opportunity for developers to participate in the development of the Frogans technology.
To post questions or suggestions, or to report errors relating to the FSDL language or to this Frogans Player version, subscribe free of charge to the Early-questions mailing list. Please prefix the subject of any posts you make to this list concerning FSDL 3.0 with "[FSDL]" and prefix the subject of any posts concerning Frogans Player for Developers with "[FP-Dev]".
The OP3FT is looking for feedback from the developer community in two key areas:
- The FSDL 3.0 language
You can suggest improvements in the design of FSDL, such as:
- changes to the minimum, maximum, and default values of attributes
- changes to applicability rules for attributes
- new Frogans slide rendering constraints (intended to ensure useability for end-users)
- The implementation of Frogans Player for Developers
You can suggest improvements or report errors in the implementation of Frogans Player for Developers, in areas such as:
- validation of FSDL documents (including error messages)
- rendering of Frogans slides
- Frogans Player GUI (e.g. the contextual menu, entry of Frogans addresses, icons)
Your feedback can concern either a given platform (Windows, MacOS X, or Linux) or all platforms.
Operating System versions currently supported:
- Windows 2000
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
- 133 MHz or more Pentium microprocessor (or equivalent)
- At least 512 megabytes (MB) of RAM
- At least 256 megabytes (MB) of available space for storage (e.g. HDD, SSD)
- Video adapter and monitor with 640x480 or higher resolution and 16 bit color
This version allows you to create and test Frogans sites under development whose Frogans slides are stored locally on your workstation. The address of your Frogans site under development must start with Test*.
This version implements the graphical elements of
It does not implement dynamic elements of FSDL.
The following elements are available for testing: <frogans-fsdl>, <file>, <resimage>, <respixels>, <resdraw>, <respath>, <setfont>, <font>, <restext>, <text>, <setfilter>, <filter>, <setrelief>, <relief>, <setshadow>, <shadow>, <resmerge>, <merge>, <layer>, <button>, and <next>.
This version does not manage Frogans slide rendering constraints (intended to ensure useability for end-users), which are currently under discussion.
Future versions of Frogans Player for Developers will implement dynamic elements of FSDL and will allow you to host your Frogans sites under development on the server of your choice.
Changes between 0.12.1 and 0.13.1:
- The FSDL Software Library (alpha) embedded in this version of Frogans Player for Developers has been improved. For details, see information on version 0.13.1 of the FSDL Software Library (alpha).
Known issues (as of April 21, 2016):
- If a Frogans slide is slow to load and render (e.g. because Frogans Player for Developers is not installed on a local drive -- see step 1. in the Instructions section below) and, while the Frogans slide is being loaded, an attempt is made either to reload it, to click one of its buttons, or to close the Frogans site, then Frogans Player for Developers is temporarily unresponsive.
- The second and third steps in the optimization of Frogans Player for Developers have not been completed yet. (The second step consists in optimizing processes implemented in low-level functions, and the third step consists in optimizing the overall process for parsing and rendering Frogans slides.) Therefore, parsing and rendering can be slow. The release version of Frogans Player will be significantly faster. As a reminder, the first step was completed in alpha version 0.1.7. (This step consisted in enabling options that control optimization when compiling the Frogans Player runtime engine written in C.)
- The error reporting system of the XML parser and the FSDL validator can generate incomplete or inaccurate messages.
- The error reporting system of the validator of the configuration-for-testing.xml file can generate incomplete or inaccurate messages. This configuration file is used to set test Frogans addresses for use with Frogans Player for Developers.
- Since Frogans slide rendering constraints are not managed yet, internal rendering errors can still occur. Such an error can occur, for example, if the lead or the vignette representation of the Frogans slide is unintentionally authored to be fully transparent, or if the placement of a button prevents it from being visible.
- Buttons leading to a Web site (i.e. <button> elements where the "goto" attribute equals 'web-site' and the "url" attribute contains a URL) and buttons leading to an email message (i.e. <button> elements where the "goto" attribute equals 'email-message' and the "email" attribute contains an email address) are not yet available for use. Currently, the only possible value for the "url" and "email" attributes of the <button> element is '' (the empty string).
- Frogans Player for Developers [noinstall] (archive in 7z format): FrogansPlayer4Dev-noinstall-alpha0.13.1-win32.7z - 34.5 MB - [ SHA1 ]
- Frogans Player for Developers [noinstall] (archive in zip format): FrogansPlayer4Dev-noinstall-alpha0.13.1-win32.zip - 49.9 MB - [ SHA1 ]
For a video presentation on the FSDL language and how to create Frogans slides, watch the FSDL tutorials given during the Frogans Technology Conference 5, available at conference.frogans.org. For additional resources related to FSDL 3.0, including a recap and extracts of the technical specification, see FSDL 3.0 resources
You can also find inspiration and help in tutorials created by third parties, such as frogans-lab.com (in English). The OP3FT welcomes such initiatives!
To create and test your own Frogans sites using Frogans Player for Developers, follow these steps:
- Download and decompress the archive on your system. A Frogans Player directory is created with the name of the archive.
Note: you should create this Frogans Player directory on the local disc of your system, and not on a networked disc; otherwise Frogans Player for Developers can be very slow at rendering Frogans slides.
- Open the Frogans Player directory and execute Frogans Player for Developers. A small, movable yellow circle representing Frogans Player is displayed in the center of the screen.
Note: if Frogans Player for Developers does not start or launch correctly, check whether your antivirus software is blocking the program or waiting for a confirmation. It has been reported that Avast! under Windows 10 prevents the program from launching correctly unless you disable the "scan program when executing" option. An Extended Validation certificate (EV) might solve this problem. This solution is currently being tested for Windows.
- Select "Open a Frogans site..." from the Frogans Player contextual menu and enter the following test Frogans address: Test*helloworld. The corresponding sample Frogans site appears, which you can move, resize, and navigate.
- Use the Frogans site contextual menu to reload the current Frogans slide (i.e. page of the Frogans site) or close the Frogans site. In order to display the Frogans site in the 640x480 resolution of the rendering canvas, disable the scaling factor (option for developers only in the Frogans site contextual menu).
- Each Frogans site is made up of one or more Frogans slides. The Frogans slides of a Frogans site (i.e. the FSDL documents and their auxiliary files) are stored in a specific directory called the Frogans site root directory. In this version of Frogans Player for Developers, Frogans site root directories can be located either locally on your system, or remotely on an HTTP server on the Internet.
For example, the Frogans site root directory of the sample Frogans site corresponding to the test Frogans address Test*helloworld is located locally in the "helloworld" subdirectory of the "test" directory of the Frogans Player directory.
- To create and test your own Frogans site with the test Frogans address Test*sitename, edit the configuration-for-testing.xml file in the Frogans Player directory. This configuration file is used to set test Frogans addresses for use with Frogans Player for Developers. The "sitename" of your test Frogans address can contain up to 28 ASCII characters in the range from 'a' to 'z', from '0' to '9' inclusive, and the '-' character (no spaces allowed). For further information, read the comments in the configuration file.
- You can create and test as many Frogans sites as you wish. The number of Frogans slides in a Frogans site is unlimited. The Frogans site root directory can contain subdirectories.
- To modify an FSDL document, edit the corresponding file in your favorite text editor that supports XML (and remember to reload the Frogans slide afterwards). We suggest that you use the .fsdl extension for the file names of your static FSDL documents.
Legal information / Credits
Frogans Player for Developers [noinstall]
Copyright ©1999-2016 OP3FT
All rights reserved
Frogans Player for Developers (the "Software") is developed by and belongs to the OP3FT.
The Software must be used in compliance with the Frogans Technology User Policy, accessible at the following permanent URL: https://www.frogans.org/en/resources/ftup/access.html.
By downloading and using the Software, you agree to and undertake to be bound by the version in force of the Frogans Technology User Policy.
Sample Frogans sites included in the "test" directory located in the Frogans Player directory are provided by the OP3FT to help you create your own Frogans sites. You are free to use, copy, distribute, modify, adapt, or share these sample Frogans sites.
The Software uses third-party source materials which are credited in the "COPYRIGHT-AND-LICENSE" directory available in the archive to be downloaded (see download).
© OP3FT - Home - Legal information